PhD in Biomedical Sciences. Vriej Universiteit Brussel – Belgium. (2014)
Master in Molecular Biology. Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Peru. (2009)
Biologist with specialization in Cellular Biology and Genetics. Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Peru. (2005)
Bachelor degree in Biological Science. Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Peru. (2004)
01/2015 – 2018
Lab Director at PRANOR Laboratories and Scientific Director at Reprogenetics Latinoamerica. Peru
04/2013 – 12/2014
Scientific Director at PRANOR Laboratories and Scientific Director at Reprogenetics Latinoamerica. Peru.
10/2009 – 03/2013
PhD Biomedical Sciences, Clinical embryologist, Centrum voor Reproductieve Geneeskunde. Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel (UZ Brussel), Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium.
01/2008 – 9/2009
Prenatal Genetic Screening by FISH and array CGH in Reprogenetics Latinoamerica. Lab Supervisor at the Molecular Biology Laboratory – ADN Diagnóstico.
06/2004 – 12/2007
Embryologist at the Fertility Center and Assisted Reproduction (CEFRA-Peru) and the Center of Fertility in the Ricardo Palma Clinic. Lima – Peru
Clinical (routine IVF clinic procedure)
- Lab Director of 3 IVF units located in Peru.
- Establishment of a successful IVF/PGD laboratory in Peru.
- Time-lapse embryo culture (Embryoscope and Miri-TL incubators. Software analysis for both incubators).
- Training and teaching IVF lab procedures for students and newly employed biologists.
- Andrology: Semen analysis, Anti sperm antibodies, sperm preparations and related testing.
- Embryology: Oocytes maturity grading, In vitro Fertilization and embryo transfer and related procedures.
- Oocyte and blastocyst vitrification.
- Embryo biopsy at day 3 and blastocyst stage. Blastomere fixation.
- Meiotic spindle identification by using the Spindleview™ Imaging System.
- Oocyte and embryo micromanipulation: Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) and assisted hatching (AH).
- Micro-Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (MESA) and Testicular Sperm Extraction (TESE).
- Extended culture to blastocyst stage using sequential as well as co-culture systems.
- Sperm and embryo freezing and thawing techniques.
- Statistics and data processing.
My PhD position was focusing in improving the efficiency of human oocyte in vitro maturation (IVM) by performing a research study in healthy female volunteers/ PCO patients:
- Responsible embryologist of the clinical IVM program, under my supervision I had 4 technicians – embryologist at Centrum voor Reproductieve Geneeskunde. Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel (UZ Brussel).
- Developing a novel IVM culture system, in collaboration with COOK©
- Testing and examining additives in oocyte maturation culture system for immature oocytes.
- Examining gene expression pattern in cumulus cells, matured oocytes and embryos after IVM (PCR).
- Oocyte and blastocyst vitrification.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) for the mature oocyte after IVM.
- Embryo culture & development assessment.
- Preimplantational genetic screening (PGS) of IVM oocytes and blastocysts by array comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH).
- PGD by fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) (PGD/FlSH) for embryos and blastocysts.
Basic oocyte biology & embryology (Research)
The following procedures and skilled were gained throughout my studies (PhD degree): my project was focusing in improving the efficiency of oocyte maturation in vitro in human.
- Testing and examining additives in human oocyte maturation culture system.
- Oocyte retrieval, handling and culture.
- Embryology: IVF & embryo culture & evaluation.
- Radio Immuno Assay (RIA).
- Animal housing & breeding colony care.
- Clinical Embryologist. European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology. 2011.
- PDG Technologist. Reprogenetics New Jersey. 2009. Pere Colls. Laboratory Director at Reprogenetics.
Program for Embryologist Certification (PEC online) in Latin-American for the “Red Latinoamerica de Reproduccion Asistida” (REDLARA).
- ASRM Corporate Member Council In-training Travel Award for the IFFS/ASRM 2013 meeting.
- Fellow for stage in “Instituto de Biotecnologia” – UNAM – Mexico. Macrouniversity of Latin-America and Caribian 2005.
- Fellow for Master Studies in Peruvian Universities. 2004-2005.
- Inoue N, Lopez R, Delgado A, Nuñez D, Portella J, Noriega-Hoces L, Guzmán L. Mosaic embryo transfer after oocyte in vitro maturation in combination with non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT)-first report of a euploid live birth. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2017;34(9):1199-1205
- Ravichandran K, Guzman L, Escudero T, Zheng X, Colls P, Jordan A, Cohen J, Wells D, Munne S. Causes and estimated incidences of sex-chromosome misdiagnosis in preimplantation genetic diagnosis of aneuploidy. Reprod Biomed Online. 2016 Nov;33(5):550-559
- Guzman L, Mestanza M, Inoue N, Nuñez D, Portella J, Noriega-Hoces L. In vitro maturation combined with extended blastocyst embryo culture – report of the first baby born in Peru. Rev Per de Ginecol Obstrt. 2016. 62(4) 433-437.
- Portella J, Nuñez D, Obregon E, Chavez N, Noriega-Hoces L, Guzman L. First pregnancy with transfer of morphokinetics-selected enbryos in Peru. Rev Per de Ginecol Obstrt. 2016. 62(3) 279-283.
- Ortega-Hrepich C, Guzman L, Arguello B, Pommer R. Maduración in vitro de ovocitos humanos: una opción para preservar la fertilidad de las mujeres. Reporte del primer caso realizado en Chile. Rev Chil Obstrt Ginecol 2014. 79(6): 513-516.
- Polyzos NP, Anckaert E, Guzman L, Schiettecatte J, Van Landuyt L, Camus M, Smitz J, Tournaye H. Vitamin D deficiency and pregnancy rates in women undergoing single embryo, blastocyst stage, transfer (SET) for IVF/ICSI. Hum Reprod. 2014. 29(9): 2032-2040.
- Guzman L, Ortega-Hrepich C, Polyzos NP, Anckaert E, Verheyen G, Coucke W, Devroey P, Tournaye H, Smitz J, De Vos M. A prediction model to select PCOS patients suitable for IVM treatment based on anti-Müllerian hormone and antral follicle count. Hum Reprod 2013; May;28(5):1261-6
- Ortega-Hrepich C, Stoop D, Guzmán L, Van Landuyt L, Tournaye H, Smitz J, De Vos M. A “freeze-all” embryo strategy after in vitro maturation: a novel approach in women with polycystic ovary syndrome?. Fertil Steril. 2013 Oct;100(4):1002-7.
- Polyzos NP, Tournaye H, Guzman L, Camus M, Nelson SM. Predictors of ovarian response in women treated with corifollitropin alfa for in vitro fertilization/intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril. 2013 Aug;100(2):430-7.
- Zeng HT, Ren Z, Guzman L, Wang X, Sutton-McDowall ML, Ritter LJ, De Vos M, Smitz J, Thompson JG, Gilchrist RB. Heparin and cAMP modulators interact during pre-in vitro maturation to affect mouse and human oocyte meiosis and developmental competence. Hum Reprod. 2013 Jun;28(6):1536-45.
- Guzman L, Adriaenssens T, Ortega-Hrepich C, Albuz FK, Mateizel I, Devroey P, De Vos M. Smitz J. Human antral follicles <6 mm: a comparison between in vivo maturation and in vitro maturation in non-hCG primed cycles using cumulus cell gene expression. Mol Hum Reprod 2012.
- Ortega-Hrepich C, Polyzos NP, Anckaert E, Guzman L, Tournaye H, Smitz J, De Vos M. The effect of ovarian puncture on the endocrine profile of PCOS patients who undergo IVM. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2014 Feb 24;12:18
- Guzman L, Ortega-Hrepich C, Albuz FK, Verheyen G, Devroey P, Smitz J. De Vos M. Developmental capacity of in vitro-matured human oocytes retrieved from polycystic ovary syndrome ovaries containing no follicles larger than 6 mm. Fertil Steril 2012; 98: 503-507 e502.
- De Vos M, Ortega-Hrepich C, Albuz FK, Guzman L, Polyzos NP, Smitz J, Devroey P. Clinical outcome of non-hCG-primed oocyte in vitro maturation treatment in patients with polycystic ovaries and polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2011 Oct; 96(4):860-4.
Abstracts in International Conferences
I Segers , L Guzman ,G Cauffman ,H Van de Velde ,J Smitz , M De Vos, G Verheyen (2015). Comparative time lapse imaging of embryos obtained after oocyte in vitro maturation (IVM) in two different IVM media. ESHRE 2015, Lisbon, Portugal
P Villanueva, V Bazul, J Portella, I Steurer, L Noriega, L Guzman. (2015). Incidence of aneuploidy in blastocyst generated from donor oocyte cycles – Comprensive Chromosome screening by aCGH. World Congress of in vitro fertilization. Copenhagen. Denmark.
P Villanueva, S Sepulveda, L Noriega, R Lopez, J Portella, L Guzman. (2014). Influence of paternal age on the embryo development and euploidy in embryos analyzed by FISH and aCGH. Annual conference of American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), Hawaii, USA.
L Guzman, P Colls, X Zheng, E Margiatto, S Munne, J Cohen. (2013). Incidence and cause of gender misdiagnosis in preimplantaion genetic screening. ASRM. Annual conference of American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), Boston, USA.
- Guzman, Acacio B., Shapiro B.S., Perloe M., Venier W., Escudero T. (2012).Incidence of aneuploidy is increased in patients with advanced maternal age and recurrent pregnancy loss. Annual conference of American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), San Diego, USA.
- Guzman, C. Ortega, Van Landuyt L, Tournaye H, J. Smitz, M. De Vos. (2012). Clinical outcomes after transfer of vitrified-warmed day-3 IVM embryos versus embryos generated after conventional ART. Annual conference of American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), San Diego, USA.
- Guzman, C. Ortega, Verheyen G., Tournaye H, M. De Vos, J. Smitz. (2012). Effect of heparin exposure before in vitro maturation culture on oocyte maturation. Annual conference of American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), San Diego, USA.
- De Vos, L. Van Landuyt, F.K. Albuz, L. Guzman, C. Ortega, P. Devroey, J. Smitz. (2011). Embryo yield and quality after non-hCG-primed IVM and conventional ICSI in PCO patients. World Congress of Human Reproduction. Melbourne. Australia.
- Guzman, C. Ortega, F.K. Albuz, R.B. Gilchrist, P. Devroey, J. Smitz, M. De Vos. (2011). The effect of follicular dominance on oocyte recovery rate and on clinical outcome of IVM treatment in non-hCG-primed patients with PCOS. European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE).
F.K. Albuz, L. Guzman, C. Ortega, R.B. Gilchrist, P. Devroey, M. De Vos, J. Smitz. (2011). The developmental capacity of human in vitro matured oocytes retrieved from small antral follicles (4-6 mm) in non-hCG-primed cycles. European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE).
- Ortega, L. Guzman, F. K Albuz, P. Devroey, J. Smitz and M. De Vos. (2010). The Endocrine Profile of In-Vitro Maturation Treatment Cycles. Annual conference of American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), Denver, USA.
- De Vos, L. Guzman, F.K. Albuz, C. Bourgain, J. Smitz and P. Devroey. (2010). The endometrium receptivity in in-vitro maturation (IVM) treatment. Annual conference of American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), Denver, USA.